Sunday, April 12, 2009

Fried pickles

Now hush puppies and fried fish is a great meal, but, we need a vegetable to make it part of a balanced diet. So, I decided to deep fry some pickles. I've had these in restaurants as appetisers, and I've always enjoyed them, so I figured I'd give this a shot.

I have had deep fried pickles as both spears and as chips, and this first time, I decided to try spears.

I didn't save the exact recipe I used, but it was pretty close to this one. And I went with a flour coating of flour garlic salt, salt, and pepper. After doing all the dipping in egg, flour coating, egg, and flour coating again, you have to freeze the pickles for at least half an hour, then dip them into oil at 375.

It took just a few minutes to cook, while making sure they get cooked on all sides. These would not have won any beauty pageants -- they actually looked downright ugly. But they were delicious! You have to take careful bites at first though, because the pickle juice is extremely hot, and it will run everywhere. Also, the pickles are very good dipped in ranch.

So, after just one dinner, the deep fryer was 3 for 3, and my roommate and I didn't feel like we needed to eat again for a week.

Be on the lookout for my next post, coming very soon, which will chronicle dessert night. We deep fried Twinkies, Milky Way bars, a Cadbury Caramel Egg, and a chocolate covered cherry.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard at least one person had a comment that they weren't able to post. so, I'm testing this out, and seeing how it goes.

    A former coworker, who has deep fried pickles, recommended dipping them in wasabi mayo from Trader Joe's. I can't argue with that.

    ReplyDelete