Saturday, April 11, 2009

Welcome to "Off The Deep End"

Hi everyone,

Welcome to "Off The Deep End!" For my past birthday, I got a deep fryer from my roommates. Just about everything to come out of it so far has been amazing, and I am starting this blog to document the various things my roommates, friends, and I decide to submerge in hot oil.

Now, I've never been known amongst family and friends as a "health-conscious eater", and that trend will likely continue in this blog. My goal is not only to perfect the traditional deep fried fare, but also to really explore the studio space -- go off the deep end, if you will -- with tons of foods you might never have thought to deep fry. Twinkies and Oreos may have made it mainstream in the deep frying world, but why haven't Swiss Cake Rolls or peanut butter cups? Everyone loves mozzarella sticks, but what other cheeses work?

My philosophy is that there are no bad suggestions for deep frying. (Well, my roommate pointed out that fortune cookies are probably a bad suggestion, because of the paper inside, but whatever.) Sure, maybe some things won't be as good as others, but I'm willing to take that chance in the name of science, document it all for you here, and try not to gain too much weight in the process.

So, I welcome your suggestions and comments, provided they relate to deep frying and you are not a spamming robot. Also, this is my first foray into blogging, so the look and feel of this blog will possibly change in the coming months as I figure out what I'm doing here. I hope you all enjoy the blog, and a new post should be ready shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment