Saturday, July 31, 2010

Deep-Fried French Toast, Breakfast Corndogs, And Bacon

Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I've been meaning to do more morning deep frying. The Toaster Strudels, beignets, and cinnamon buns were all excellent, but none of those really count as a complete, balanced breakfast. So this time I hoped to fry a few more traditional breakfast foods.

There was a fresh loaf of challah in the house, which is a great start for French toast. I figured this was probably an easy thing to deep fry, since you already cover it with an egg wash (and a bit of cinnamon) anyways. I'd just drop the pieces of bread into the oil, and it should take care of the rest.

It was, in fact, just that easy. The bread floats on top of the oil, and could be easily flipped after a couple minutes.

And it also tasted exactly the same. It didn't look quite as nice as French toast prepared the traditional way, though. Probably the best advantage to deep frying this would be that the oil heated it all perfectly, while you might get uneven cooking on a frying pan. But, using a griddle, that shouldn't ever be a problem anyways.
We also had a lot of breakfast sausages, as they were on sale earlier in the week. So, I cooked up a batch of those and some bacon. I cooked these thoroughly before deep frying them just to make sure they would be safe to eat, as deep frying doesn't always cook the center fully. Once the sausages were cooked, I put one on a popsickle stick, dipped it in pancake batter, and deep fried it. I only left it in for a minute or two, because I didn't want the outer shell to be too crispy; I wanted it to have a fluffier pancake-like texture and taste.
This was really good, and amazing with maple syrup. I can't say much besides it tasted exactly like you'd expect sausage wrapped in pancakes to taste: excellent. I highly recommend it.

Next up was bacon, which I was very excited to deep fry for the first time. Fried bacon has made a big splash at state fairs around the country, and you can also find deep-fried chocolate-covered bacon now and I'm sure even newer innovations are out there.

For the bacon, we tried both the pancake batter and egg and breadcrumbs. Most liked the bacon better in the breadcrumbs overall, but in this meal, along with French toast and sausage, I'd say the bacon in the pancake batter was a better fit because it too could be dipped in the syrup.

The breadcrumb coating tasted great, as the saltier coating really went well with the savory and salty taste of bacon. To be fair, I didn't try dipping this in the syrup, but I don't think it would have worked. This would have been absolutely amazing with a biscuits and gravy breakfast. I think this would also be the right way to prepare the bacon if you're having eggs.
I know blog posts have been a bit sparse over the summer, but I've had a few deep frying adventures lately, so I should be able to pick it back up soon. My next post is a fun one. I took one of the most unhealthy things I've ever eaten and I deep fried it. Stay tuned.

Also, deep frying got a little love in this past week's episode of Jersey Shore. Snooki tries a deep fried pickle and calls it "a life changing experience." Check out the video here (go to about 10:47), and read my post of deep fried pickles here.

3 comments:

  1. Just stumbled across your blog after Googling "toaster strudel unhealthy." Spot on content, sir. I admire your dedication to the art of the fry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the site, and I hope you'll keep checking in for future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Beida deep fryer from http://www.bizarkdeal.com/kitchen-Dining/Fryer-clearance is great for frying home size portions, and little snacks! The window is great to view what your frying without having to open the lid! I love it!

    ReplyDelete